Conjunctivitis (pink eye) is an infection caused on the front surface of the eye – in the outer membrane of our eyeball, it makes the eye a little bit pink or reddish and causes burning, itchiness in the eyes. Conjunctiva is a thin membrane that covers the white layer of the eyes, when blood vessels within the eye become pink.
Symptoms of Conjunctivitis
- Pink or red shaded eyes.
- Eyes itchiness.
- Intense itching and increased tears in eyes.
- Gritty feeling in eyes
- Slight blurring of vision.
What are the Causes of Conjunctivitis or pink eyes?
Bacteria and Allergies:
Pink Eye / Conjunctivitis caused by viruses or bacteria that causes common cold and fever. Bacteria can also transmit from one person to another by touch. Eye irritants such as dust, pollen, and animal dander can cause allergic Conjunctivitis. This can cause serious damage to the eye if left untreated.
If chemical splashes in your eyes can cause pink eye, rinsing your eyes with water is a simple and effective way to get relaxation from Chemical.
Viral Conjunctivitis can occur with symptoms of a cold flu or other respiratory infections.
Allergic Conjunctivitis occurs in both eyes and can cause an itchy nose, sneezing a scratchy throat, or asthma.
How to Prevent transmission of Conjunctivitis?
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Don’t share your cosmetics such as eyeliner or Mascara, with other people.
- Use a separate towel and wash your clothes daily.
- Avoid rubbing or touching your eyes.
- Before showering, remove your contact lenses to avoid trapping bacteria between your eyes and the lenses.
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
What is the best treatment for Conjunctivitis / Pink Eye?
- Conjunctivitis is a viral eye infection, hence there is no need of panicking, because just like other viral infections our body automatically prepare antibodies and reduce the infection.
- Conjunctivitis can be treated by prescribed eye drop as per ophthalmologists advise.
- To lower pain eye you can use simple cold therapy by putting Ice wrapped in Soft Cloth on outer side of eye
- Expert doctors may suggest eye drop to lower the pain, itching and watery eyes to relief from symptoms.
- Washing eyes with cold water twice a day can help to relief conjunctivitis pain.
Conjunctivitis and Covid -19
Is conjunctivitis can be a Symptom of Covid-19?
Yes, as per resent study of doctors during Covid -19 Pandemic, Conjunctivitis / Pink Eye can also be one of a Symptom of Covid-19 Disease but is considered as a Less Common Symptom of the Covid-19.
About Symptoms of Covid-19 about 1% to 3% of people may see symptoms of pink eye, which happens when Viral infection damages eye tissues and we can see red or pink eye color.
But this pink eye can also see in normal cough, cold, fever. Also, it can be appeared with stress on eyes or any external infection. So, there is no need of panicking by just finding pink eye because it is not a lone symptom of Covid-19. It is always better to consult with expert doctor in-case of finding any such symptoms.
Thanks for Connecting with us