What is Prostate Enlargement?
Prostate enlargement, also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), is a condition in which the prostate gland grows larger than normal. The prostate is a walnut-sized gland that sits below the bladder and in front of the rectum. It produces a fluid that helps to nourish and protect sperm.
As men age, the prostate gland often enlarges. This is due to changes in the levels of hormones, such as testosterone. The enlarged prostate can put pressure on the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body. This can cause problems with urination, such as:
- Difficulty starting to urinate
- A weak or interrupted stream of urine
- A feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder
- Frequent urination, especially at night
- Painful urination
Causes of Prostate Enlargement
The exact cause of prostate enlargement is unknown. However, it is thought to be due to a combination of factors, including:
- Age: Prostate enlargement is more common in older men.
- Family history: Men with a family history of prostate enlargement are more likely to develop the condition.
- Race: African American men are more likely to develop prostate enlargement than Caucasian men.
- Obesity: Men who are obese are more likely to develop prostate enlargement.
- High blood pressure: Men with high blood pressure are more likely to develop prostate enlargement.
- Diabetes: Men with diabetes are more likely to develop prostate enlargement.
Treatment for Prostate Enlargement
The treatment for prostate enlargements depends on the severity of the symptoms. If the symptoms are mild, you may not need any treatment. However, if the symptoms are bothersome, there are a number of treatment options available, including:
- Medication: There are a number of medications that can help to reduce the size of the prostate gland and improve urinary symptoms. These medications include alpha-blockers and 5-alpha reductase inhibitors.
- Surgery: If medication does not help, surgery may be an option. There are a number of different types of surgery that can be used to treat prostate enlargements. The type of surgery that is best for you will depend on your individual circumstances.
Preventing Prostate Enlargements
There is no sure way to prevent prostate enlargements. However, there are a number of things you can do to reduce your risk, including:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Eating a healthy diet
- Exercising regularly
- Managing your blood pressure
- Managing your diabetes
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of prostate enlargements, it is important to see a doctor. Early diagnosis and treatment can help to improve your quality of life.
Thanks for visiting gymbag4u.com
To know more about Knee replacement surgery refer following article link Knee Replacement Surgery Process and Cost in India – GymBag4U
You can also refer following video on Primary BPH Treatment procedures.