What are B Vitamins?
B vitamins are a group of water-soluble vitamins that are essential for good health. They help the body convert food into energy, produce and maintain healthy cells, and support the nervous system.
There are eight B vitamins: thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), biotin (B7), folate (B9), and cobalamin (B12).
Benefits of B Vitamins
B vitamins play a role in many important bodily functions, including:
- Energy production: B vitamins help the body convert food into energy.
- Cell production: B vitamins help the body produce and maintain healthy cells.
- Nervous system support: B vitamins support the nervous system by helping to produce and maintain healthy nerve cells.
- Metabolism: B vitamins help the body metabolize carbohydrates, protein, and fat.
- Mood: B vitamins may help improve mood.
- Skin health: B vitamins may help improve skin health.
Diet Sources of B Vitamins
B vitamins are found in a variety of foods, including:
- Whole grains
- Dairy products
How Much B Vitamins Do You Need?
The recommended daily intake of B vitamins varies depending on your age and sex. The following table shows the recommended daily intake of B vitamins for adults:
|Vitamin||Recommended Daily Intake|
|Thiamin (B1)||1.2 mg|
|Riboflavin (B2)||1.3 mg|
|Niacin (B3)||16 mg|
|Pantothenic acid (B5)||5 mg|
|Pyridoxine (B6)||1.7 mg|
|Biotin (B7)||30 mcg|
|Folate (B9)||400 mcg|
|Cobalamin (B12)||2.4 mcg|
How Can You Tell If You Have a B Vitamin Deficiency?
Symptoms of B vitamin deficiency vary depending on the vitamin. Some common symptoms of B vitamin deficiency include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet
- Swollen tongue
- Hair loss
How Can You Get More B Vitamins?
The best way to get enough B vitamins is to eat a healthy diet that includes a variety of foods that are good sources of B vitamins. If you are concerned that you may not be getting enough B vitamins, you may want to talk to your doctor about taking a B vitamin supplement.
We hope our readers are now well aware about b vitamins benefit and its food sources. It is always important to talk to your doctor before taking a B vitamin supplement, as too much of some B vitamins can be harmful.
Thanks for visiting Gymbag4u.com
To know more about Food Vitamins, refer our following article Food Vitamins: What You Need to Know – GymBag4U