The ketogenic diet, or keto diet for short, is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet that has gained popularity in recent years. This diet is designed to put the body into a metabolic state called ketosis, where it burns fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates. In this article, we will explore what the keto diet is, foods to eat on the keto diet, and a sample daily meal plan. So, let’s begin to know whatis a keto diet.
What is the Keto Diet?
The keto diet is a high-fat, moderate-protein, and low-carbohydrate diet. The goal of the keto diet is to put the body into a state of ketosis, where it starts burning stored fat for energy instead of glucose from carbohydrates. This is achieved by restricting carbohydrate intake to 20-50 grams per day, increasing fat intake to 70-75% of total calories, and consuming moderate amounts of protein.
Foods to Eat on the Keto Diet:
Foods that are allowed on the keto diet include:
- Meat and Poultry: Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and other meats are all allowed on the keto diet. Fatty cuts of meat are preferred as they contain higher amounts of healthy fats.
- Seafood: Fish, shellfish, and other seafood are excellent sources of protein and healthy fats and are suitable for the keto diet.
- Eggs: Whole eggs, including the yolk, are an excellent source of protein and healthy fats.
- High-Fat Dairy: Cheese, butter, heavy cream, and other high-fat dairy products are suitable for the keto diet.
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, chia seeds, and other nuts and seeds are high in healthy fats and low in carbohydrates.
- Low-Carb Vegetables: Leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, and other low-carb vegetables are allowed on the keto diet.
- Healthy Fats: Avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, and other healthy fats are allowed on the keto diet.
Foods to Avoid on the Keto Diet:
Foods that should be avoided on the keto diet include:
- Grains and Starches: Bread, pasta, rice, and other grains and starches are high in carbohydrates and should be avoided on the keto diet.
- Sugary Foods and Drinks: Candy, soda, and other sugary foods and drinks are high in carbohydrates and should be avoided on the keto diet.
- High-Carb Fruits: Bananas, apples, oranges, and other high-carb fruits are high in carbohydrates and should be avoided on the keto diet.
- Beans and Legumes: Beans, lentils, chickpeas, and other legumes are high in carbohydrates and should be avoided on the keto diet.
- Processed Foods: Processed foods, including most packaged snacks, are typically high in carbohydrates and should be avoided on the keto diet.
Keto Diet Daily Plan:
Here is a sample daily meal plan for the keto diet:
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with cheese and avocado.
Lunch: Grilled chicken with a side of broccoli cooked in coconut oil.
Snack: A handful of macadamia nuts.
Dinner: Steak with a side of sautéed mushrooms cooked in butter.
Snack: A slice of high-fat cheese.
In conclusion, the keto diet is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet designed to put the body into a metabolic state called ketosis. This diet restricts carbohydrate intake and increases fat intake to promote fat burning for energy. Foods to eat on the keto diet include meat, seafood, eggs, high-fat dairy, nuts, seeds, low-carb vegetables, and healthy fats. Foods to avoid include grains and starches, sugary foods and drinks, high-carb fruits.
We hope our readers will love our above article on whatis a keto diet.
Thanks for visiting our website,